Foundations are one of my most favorite makeup products to test out! For me, all great makeup starts with a great base.
I have dry skin and as I’ve gotten older, I have noticed that I really only like the look of certain foundations on my skin. These are the top foundations that I find myself reaching for regularly and also repurchasing.
FOUNDATION “MUSTS” CHECKLIST
- covers well (I have some surface redness and light acne scars)
- hydrates all day, stays dewy looking, never patchy
- looks like a second skin
- doesn’t accentuate fine lines
- keeps skin clear, doesn’t cause breakouts or clogged pores
With those guidelines in place, here are the foundations that I reach for the most, in order from lowest price to highest.
Related Post | My Foundation Routine For Flawless, All-day Wear
BEST FOUNDATIONS FOR DRY + MATURE SKIN
1 | The Ordinary Coverage Foundation
- review post | swatch video
- $7 | 1 oz | 21 shades available
- I wear shade 1.2P – light with pink undertones. This foundation oxidizes and changes from pink to peach.
- shop online | skinstore . ulta beauty
This foundation has a surprisingly skin like finish. The name “coverage” made me think this might be too full-coverage, but I was pleasantly surprised how natural it looks.
The key I’ve found, is to apply it immediately after moisturizer, so I get light-to-medium coverage. If I wait too long after skincare to apply this foundation, it gets heavy looking and very oily.
This is my go-to foundation for running a quick errand, it lasts around 4 hours on me. I love that this foundation doesn’t make my skin itch or cause break-outs.
2 | Milani Conceal + Perfect 2 + 1 Foundation
- $10 | 1 oz | 40 shades
- I wear shade 02A2 – Warm Natural
- shop online | milani cosmetics . ulta beauty . amazon
This foundation has such a gorgeous satin, matte finish! It provides a ton of coverage, but still looks natural and doesn’t accentuate fine lines the way some more matte finish foundations can.
I also love that it doesn’t irritate my sensitive skin. It’s very gentle on and does last all day. I usually pair it with the Milani Prime Light primer for a glowing skin combo. I do recommend making sure your skin is very well moisturized with this foundation, as the formula is on the thicker side.
3 | L’oreal Infallible Freshwear Foundation
- $15 | 1 oz | 40 shades
- I wear shade 435 Rose Vanilla – light, with pink undertones. This foundation oxidizes to peach.
- shop online | ulta beauty . amazon
This new foundation from L’oreal has, hands down, the best satin finish of any drugstore foundation I’ve ever tried. It looks beautiful in person and in photos.
I do prefer to wear it with a primer and well-moisturized skin, sometimes my skin will get itchy with this foundation if I skip primer.
This is truly a gorgeous foundation, with a finish that looks high-end!
4 | Charlotte Tilbury Light Wonder Foundation
- full review
- $46 | 1.4 oz |12 shades
- I wear shade 4 or 5
- shop online | charlotte tilbury . nordstrom . beautylish . sephora
Light Wonder is a great foundation for mature skin because it reflects light. You don’t need to layer on product. It really makes your skin look radiant and fresh in one light layer.
The only downside is it that because it’s such a lightweight texture, this doesn’t cover breakouts well. You will need to spot conceal. This foundation photographs beautifully and looks very natural in real life.
This is a great bridal foundation for a bride who wants to look natural in real life, but also photograph well. Just make sure to use a setting spray.
5 | Shisheido Synchro Skin Self-Refreshing Foundation
- $47 | 1 oz | 30 shades
- I wear shade 240, light, neutral shade that leans peachy.
- shop online | sephora . nordstrom . macys
This is a great full-coverage foundation for dry + mature skin! It has a unique self-refreshing formula that keeps itself dewy all day, it never settles into dry patches.
This Shisheido foundation has the most beautiful, radiant finish. For a full coverage foundation, this is rare! I really love that it’s not super matte or flat. Also, this looks absolutely stunning in photos.
I find that it can sometimes get a little shiny on it’s own, so I wear this Shiseido foundation with the Tatcha Liquid Silk Primer, which is excellent for oil-control. It’s a perfect match for this foundation!
6 | Nars Radiant Longwear Foundation
- $49 | 1 oz | 40 shades
- I wear shade Vienna – light, with peach undertones.
- shop online | nars cosmetics . sephora . ulta beauty
This is my favorite full coverage foundation for mature skin. It looks so flawless and really provides great coverage.
I love Nars range of shades and undertones. There is truly something to match everyone.
This Radiant Longwear foudation really does last all day and it also looks excellent in photos. This is a very concentrated formula, start out with one pump and blend!
7 | Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation
- review post | swatch post
- $64 | 1 oz | 40 shades
- I wear shade 4.25 – light, with peach undertones
- shop online | sephora . nordstrom
What I love: This foundation is iconic for a reason. It gives your skin full coverage without looking cakey, creates radiance, and lasts. Once you try Luminous silk, it’s game over. This is one of my favorite foundations of all time.
There is truly no other foundation like Luminous Silk. It is also the best shade match I have out of all my foundations.
This foundation photographs beautifully and is a perfect bridal foundation. You can wear one layer for a light, skin like finish or build it up for full coverage that never settles into or accentuates fine lines.
8 | Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation
- shade swatches | Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation Swatch Video
- $77 | 1 oz | 10 shades
- I wear shade 002 in winter and 113 with a faux tan.
- shop online | sephora . beautylish. skinstore . dermstore
Koh Gen Do makes some of the best foundations in the world. They blend in like a second skin, look flawless in photos and in high definition video, and look great on every skin type from oily to dry.
They have perfected their undertones and their foundations just stand out from the rest. They have made the perfect foundations for people who hate the look or feel of traditional foundations. They feel weightless.
Koh Gen Do foundations all contain skincare level ingredients. Your skin will actually improve over time wearing them.
The Aqua foundation is great for people who want lighter coverage. It works best for me applied and blended with my fingers, then buffed with a brush.
9 | Koh Gen Do Moisture Foundation
- shade swatches | Koh Gen Do Moisture Foundation Swatch Video
- $79 | .71 oz concentrated cream | 12 shades
- I wear shade 002 in winter and 113 with a faux tan.
- shop online | beautylish . skinstore . dermstore
There truly is no other foundation like the Moisture Foundation. It continuously plumps up my skin and looks the same 12 hours later as when I first applied the foundation.
It’s just a truly unique foundation, to me there is nothing else like it, it never gets patchy at any point, no matter how dry my skin feels. It’s a dry and mature skin miracle foundation.
I also wore this in Miami for a friend’s wedding during an August heat wave (or is that just Florida weather!?) and was nervous that my skin would be too oily for this to work, but somehow it worked just as well as when I wear it in freezing cold temps with dry skin.
I used this foundation on a model who was on the acne medication accutane, which really dries out skin. I had tried a few different foundations and nothing would stick on her face. Finally, the Moisture foundation sank in and became one with her skin, for a flawless finish.
This is a liquid-cream hybrid, so I do shake and lightly massage the tube before I take the cap off, to mix up the product inside. This is a concentrated formula, so start with a very small amount and build as needed.
- Bye Dark Circles: My Top Concealers for Dry + Mature Skin
- How To Know Your Foundation + Concealer Undertone
- My Concealer Routine for 35+
- My Smooth Foundation Routine
- The Skincare Device That Changed My Skin
- a.m. Dewy Skincare Routine
- p.m. Japanese Skincare Routine
- Testing 30 New Concealers in 30 Days
- Instagram @girlgetglamorous | hair extensions @girlgetglamorousHAIR
- Pinterest (join millions of other monthly viewers)
- Subscribe (free!) for the latest posts straight to your inbox
Thank you for reading and being a part of the blog! – Molly