I’m calling this post Blush 101 because we are going to deep dive not only into how and where to apply your blush, but also into all the different formulas available and which is best for you. I also want to share my favorite “secret” blush shade.
Let’s dive in, this video has all the details! You can click play below and watch the video right here on the blog.
Shop the video (clickable links under the video on YouTube as well) |
F O R M U L A S
1 | Cream
- have a water color like effect on the skin and are pigmented, a little goes a long way
- they blend easily and become one with the skin
- creams are easy to apply, making them great for all makeup skill levels, including beginners
- great for mature skin
2 | Liquid
- look like a second skin, moves with the face
- layers and builds easily from sheer to medium coverage
- great for teens and mature skin because of how natural the formula looks
- great for “no-makeup” makeup looks
3 | Powder
- great for flash photography, creates contours to the face
- can be applied sheer or built up with layers
- fast and easy to apply, minimal blending required
- great for all ages
Tip to Make Blush Last: apply a small amount of cream or liquid blush first, then sweep a light layer of blush over that to lock in the color and set for all day wear.
S H A D E S
A peachy, coral pink is one of my favorite shades on all skin tones for summer. But I feel like there is one shade that works on a ton of skin tones but gets totally overlooked: a beige undertone blush.
If you have a lot of redness in your skin and wearing blush only seems to bring that redness out, beige will be a great shade for you. It doesn’t contain a lot of pink or red in the formula, so it won’t exacerbate any surface skin redness.
More information on surface tones in this post.
A P P L I C A T I O N
The video will probably be the most helpful way to show this. The application part of the video starts at the 6:52 minute mark and it cued up to start right at the application section below.
Shop the Video |
Patrick Ta Powder Blush (shade: She’s Seductive – beige mauve) | sephora
Chanel Blush in Jersey | Chanel website (free shipping and samples)
Charlotte Tilbury Look In a Palette (shade: Smokey Eye Palette) | charlotte tilbury website (free shipping)
C’est Moi Blush Palette (shade Charisma) | target
Colourpop To the 10 Powder Blush | colourpop website
Large Blush Brush IT Cosmetics | ulta
Smaller Wayne Goss Airbrush brush | beautylish
Cream + Liquid Brushes:
Individual RT Brush | amazon
Nail Polish shade “Rue” | ulta beauty