I realized that I’ve written the phrase “clip your curls to cool” on the blog and my Instagram account @girlgetglamorous a million without fully explaining it. The technical name is “setting” the curls and it’s a great technique to helping make curls from a curling iron or wand last a really long time!
Setting your curls means clipping your just curled in place until they are cool. This sets the curls in place.
Without clipping them, the weight of your hair and gravity pull the curled piece of hair down, making them loose and not as curly or bouncy.
Clipping your hair in the shape of the curl helps make that curl shape last.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Flat Clips. These are for clipping your curls.
- Curling iron. I’m using the Hot Tools gold series curling iron in this video. I also love my BioIonic Long Barrel iron, which causes less heat damage and is worth the splurge for someone who regularly curls their hair.
- Hair Spray (applied after curling, but before curl is set and clipped)
SHOP THE POST
HIT PLAY OR CLICK HERE TO WATCH ON YOUTUBE
HOW TO CLIP YOUR CURLS
Step 1 | Curl each piece of hair as you normally would.
Step 2 | As soon as your hair comes out of the curling iron, spray a little hair spray onto the freshly curled piece and scoop it back up into the shape of the curl.
Step 3 | Leave the top part of the curl out of the clip and secure only the part of the curl that is laying flat against your scalp with the clip. This will give you extra volume. See the photo below if this is confusing.
Step 4 | Let the curls set in the clips until your hair is cool to the touch. This usually takes 10-25 minutes and I’ll do my makeup while I’m letting them cool.
Step 5 | Gently pull the clips out, starting from the bottom of your head.
Step 6 | Shake your hair out and voila! Beautiful curls that will last days.
PIN NOW | READ LATER
- My Favorite 9 Concealers for Dry + Mature Skin
- How To Hide Dark Under Eye Circles
- The Best Eye Cream (You’ve Never Heard Of + It’s Affordable!)
- My Favorite Nine Foundations (at every price!)
- The Best Makeup Remover (and it’s gentle!)
- Instagram @girlgetglamorous | hair extensions @girlgetglamorousHAIR
- Pinterest (join millions of other monthly viewers)
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel + turn on video notifications (make sure your phone settings have youtube notifications turned “on” too!)
Thank you for reading and being a part of the blog! – Molly